The Guar was at 6 g/L, the PEO (WSR-301) at 4 g/L, and the PAM at 1 g/L. The Guar and PEO were slurried using 10mL of denatured alcohol per gram of polymer, and all the solutions were mixed using a relatively low shear rate paint mixer. Apparent viscosity was measured as the drainage time (seconds) through a Ford #4 viscosity cup at approximately 1 hr, 2hr, 12 hr, and 24 hr after mixing each solution, then daily, then every 2 days. PEO and PAM are self siphoning and cannot be poured so I used a syringe to fill the viscosity cup - see photo. PAM hydrates very slowly so it was not possible to get a meaningful reading until after about 4 hours. All solutions were stored, tightly covered, at a fairly constant temperature of 21-22 degrees C (70-72 F).
The first graph uses the same scales on the y-axis and the second one uses exaggerated scales so variations stand out more and has smooth curves fitted. Within a week the Guar mixes had degraded, but Edward pointed out that bubble juices made using guar can keep for longer than a few days, so I started a new Guar mix at the same 6 g/L but with 15% Dawn by volume to see if the detergent prolonged the life of the guar - which does appear to b the case. The size of the error bars is a good indication of the uniformity of the mixes and they do suggest that it may not be possible to get a uniform mix at this concentration with the PAM using a low shear rate stirrer.
For those of you who are interested, the code to generate the graphs was written in 'R' using the package 'ggplot2'. A loess fit was used for the smooth curves.