FANDOM


When making BLM by the traditional microwave method, I've always done what I could to avoid letting the semi-hardened over-cooked J-Lube sticking to the sides of the bowl get into the finished concentrate. I mainly just avoided scraping this stuff into the bowl as I continued with the process.

Inevitably a few pieces would make it into the mix anyway. I could see them as I poured the BLM into clear squeeze bottles and sometimes saw ghosts of them in the bottles themselves. But after a week or so they were no longer visible and I never noticed them as I dispensed the concentrate. The only inhomogeneous thing I'd notice was that the last ounce or two was thicker and more difficult to squeeze out. I assume these were those clumps settling and blending together. I got in the habit of tumbling my bottles once a day and this symptom went away.

So, I tried an experiment. After cooking the J-Lube/water mix, I used a rubber spatula to scrape all that baked-on crud off the bowl's sides and right back into the mix. Then I stirred it in, let the mix cool, and continued as usual, except that I stirred the final concentrate for only about 3 mins, tempting a clumpy outcome. I could clearly see them as I filled my squeeze bottles. After 12 days of daily tumbles, I poured that batch through a fine steel screen to see what would happen. No clumps. None.

I should add that I always replace the water that's boiled and evaporated away, whisking it into the Surgilube before adding that to the J-Lube/water mix. I also let that mix cool to 120 F, rather than 150, before seeing how much water was lost. A 32 oz batch can lose an additional 1/2 oz due to evaporation between 150 and 120, with occasional stirring.

Conclusion: There's no need to worry about those clumps unless you're in a hurry to use your BLM. Let them go and age your concentrate. You need not waste any of your J-Lube, fretting about these clumps.

Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.