Entry to be updated. Session goal was to compare Dawn Pro/Sun (Sunsational Scents Lemon) hybrid mix with a Dawn Pro-only mix. Both mixes used 1 tsp guar gum (slurried with isopropyl), 2 tsp baking powder, 3640 grams water. The amount of detergent was different since Dawn Pro and Dawn Pro/Sun have different surfactant strengths. One of the goals was to try to find in the Dawn/Sun for Dawn substitution ratio (to achieve same surfactant concentration as measured by color profile).
The Dawn Pro solution had 150 grams detergent which yields a water:detergent ratio of about 24:1. The Dawn/Sun mix had 185 grams detergent (19.6:1 ratio).
My quick impression in the field was that the color profiles of the bubbles from the Dawn Pro-only and the Dawn Pro/Sunsational Scents mix were pretty close. So, 1.25x seems like the right substition.
The t-shirt yarn loops -- which I am not loving with dilute mixes -- showed dramatic size potential increase when the detergent concentration was increased. Also, the loop made from the 1"-wide strip worked MUCH better than the one from the 1/2" wide strip. The single-strand twine loop, however, beats them both.
I recommend watching the videos on YouTube at the highest resolution rather than watching them embedded.
The session had many giants and super-giants. There were also many gorgeous and really massive bubbles that I did not manage to close. I thought they were so beautiful that they deserved their own video:
- Demonstrate how adding detergent changes color profile (film thickness)
- Demonstrate how reducing film thickness can increase effective size potential and loop capacity as long as conditions allow.
- Test to see if concentration influences ghosting with Dawn/Sun Hybrid
- Compare relative quality of Dawn and Dawn/Sun mixes
64F; 82% humidity (at start -- dropping to about 70%); cloudy. Mild breeze.
Towards end of session, the film was showing a tendency to prematurely pop that was not present for the first 30 minutes.
- 33" topstring loops of soda-washed and turquoise-dyed Bed, Bath and Beyond Twine
- 32" (when stretched and dry) t-shirt yarn loop made from 1/2" wide strip
- 32" (when stretched and dry) t-shirt yarn loop made from 1" wide strip
- 100" webfoot microfiber top with BBB twine bottom (modular setup)
I played around with the dilution and also added some Dawn-only mix to the Dawn/Sun mix to see how it infuenced ghosting.