I experienced a "gotcha" when trying to mix up my first batch of Vincent Amendola's PVA/Guar/JLube Juice
When I added the PVA solution to the guar gum slurry, a discrete gel ball (about 5 ml big) formed in the slurry after a minute or two.
I tried to mash it up with two forks, but that didn't work. It wouldn't break up and it wouldn't dissolve with stirring. I waited 10 minutes to see if it might dissolve or soften on its own. It didn't! After about 10 minutes, I decided to try something else. I warmed the slurry VERY briefly in the microwave (20 seconds on partial power) and stirred it for a minute. It seemed to get smaller. I repeated the warm and stir process a few times, and the ball mostly dissolved, but there were still a few bits of d…Read more >
In preparation for exploring Vincent Amendola's PVA/Guar Gum/J-Lube recipe , I mixed up a 10% PVA Solution using Polyvinyl Alcohol powder purchased in 2011 or so. I know nothing about the particular type of polyvinyl alcohol that this is. The chemistry supply store had no information to offer at the time of purchase. I've made 1% and 2% solutions in the past by simply sprinkling PVA powder into water that I was stirring by hand and then warm slightly and stirring some more.
- 90 grams distilled water
- 10 grams polyvinyl alchohol powder
I sprinkled the PVA powder into room temperature distilled water while stirring by hand. When I was done sprinkling the powder, the solution was milky/chalky. I put the beaker in the microwave for 20 s…
Read more >
I haven't had a chance to bubble since the September PAM Trial. I've been curious: how much PAM is too much. So, I mixed up a batch of bubble juice with roughly 200 grams of 0.1% PAM Solution per liter of juice (at 20:1 water to Dawn Pro). The juice worked quite well and was clearly not overdosed.
I had some BLM-based juice (at 20:1) on-hand and tried it. The two seemed to work fairly comparably. The BLM juice might have been able to more reliably make 40+ foot tubes BUT there weren't really enough trials to tell and the windspeed was variable enough that the difference could quite easily have been due to the wind.
Conditions: 60 degrees F, 85% relative humidity, fully overcast.
Test loops: 48-inch Rubbermaid webfoot microfiber mop top-string…Read more >
RogerH3 recently posted about promising results with Polyacrylamide (PAM) as a bubble juice polymer. Roger was kind enough to send me a sample of the PAM that he used as I was unable to find water soluble PAM myself.
QUICK TAKE: Water-soluble PAM works great. In this quick shootout it compared favorably to BLM . The test was too superficial to draw any conclusions other than PAM is a promising polymer.
CONDITIONS: 8 am, sunny, mild breeze,58F and 80% humidity
WICKS: 48-inch RubberMaid webfoot microfiber top with 2-strand white rayon bottom (from RubberMaid Rayon Finish Mop)
JUICE SUMMARY: Three different 20:1 bubble juice mixes were used (that is (20 parts water to 1 part Dawn Pro). These mixes are pH-adjusted with citric acid to a pH of 7.6. …
Read more >
Just a quick note documenting the simple inexpensive lighting setup that I have cobbled together for reliably capturing bubble colors for doing indoor color profile studies.
The results are excellent in terms of capturing the colors. However, I am finding that the methods that I've tried for making bubbles that I can photograph with the setup are less sensitive to differences in solutions than my standard outdoor tri-string setups. It turns out that the tri-strings I use (and maybe reasonably sized tri-strings in general) are quite sensitive to differences in 'surfactancy' or dilution than the longevity test setup or blowing bubbles and holding them on a plastic wand.
So, my search continues for finding an indoor method of making bubbles/fil…
Read more >